Monday, January 08, 2007

THE BARRY BONDS OF TRENCHERS


If you hadn't figured it out from the title, this trenchers is most definitely on steroids. It's been crowned the biggest moving machine ever, which is quite a feat, considering it was built almost 30 years ago.


Bagger 288 as it was affectionately named, was built by the German company Krupp in 1978. Weighing in at 50,155 tons (or 100,310,329 lbs), 705 feet long and 312 feet high this behemoth is capable of moving on it s treads from one open-air mine to another without any disassembling.

With out any disassembling of the trencher that is. In 2001 it was moved across 22 km of fields, railroad crossings and, villages and countryside. Because it's unable to move around obstacles, workers had to prepare the way by piling up cushions on top of highways and train tracks, removing power lines and seeding the fields with special grass that would withstand the über–pounding that they were sure to take.

At full steam the Bagger 288 is capable of chewing 2.7 million cubic feet of coal, rock and earth per day and the occasional stray bulldozer.





If I ever get my hands on one of these, I'll definitely put an end to those infernal power-rangers.
all the specs [here]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

Imperio Vissco Wheelchair